Thursday, February 22, 2007

DAW bitching

The subject of DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations) ends up being a very religious one, people have their preferences of what they've learned and tend to have trouble adapting to them. I've been testing applications, as a DAW developer, and below I will list some complaints. Note that yes, these are individual and small items, however they are in my opinion significant as they are indicative of the design of the application.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, good programmers aren't always good APPLICATION programmers.


So here goes:

  • Sonar 6: (after having to restart to switch to ASIO) I go to import an hour long 15 track session, and it takes (I shit you not) 5 minutes per .WAV file to import it. And I can't do ANYTHING while it imports it. This is on an 8 core Xeon, too. I give up after 10 minutes (which were spent playing with the cat, and eating breakfast), when I get back and it was on the 3rd item.. and when I hit cancel, the first two are gone, too. UGH. Either do it quickly, or do it in the background, or both!
  • Cubase SX3: Where do I go to configure my ASIO hardware? Ugh. The preferences are a joke, too.
Update: Turns out Sonar was resampling the media to its own directory which is what took so long.. No on-the-fly samplerate conversion, sad. Which means also that it lacks the ability to CHANGE a project's sample rate once you've created it. This combined with the inability to easily duplicate things like FX, make it so tedious. Also I found a way to only view one track in the track view, but then once I did that I couldnt figure out how to get back to the full track views. UGH.. I give up.

No comments: